keskiviikko 2. heinäkuuta 2014

Live for speed

Well, some speed at least. I did a little top speed test with the kWsara a couple weeks back. It was raining cats and dogs, so the circumstances were far from perfect. Nevertheless, I reached a top speed of 84 km/h (or 52 mph) on fifth gear while consuming approximately 22 kW. Not a whole lot, but rather predictable though.

The car was a petrol model, which revved several thousand rpm, so the gearbox has rather low gearing for the electric motor, which only likes to rev 2000-3000 rpm. So when 1000 rpm equals about 35 km/h on the fifth gear, you end up with less than 90 km/h at 2500 rpm. Other factors include voltage sag, which may have an effect since I still only have single set of 60 Ah cells in, and the tires, which are now the stock 185/65R14.

I'll get more cells before long to keep the voltage as high as it can be and I also just today picked up these 15" rims. They're meant for a Peugeot 307, just like my daily driver, but should also fit the Xsara. Both vehicles are from the same parent company, PSA, anyway. I'll get 185/65R15 or 195/65R15 tires for them at some point. That should increase the top speed by some 10-15% as well.


I know, the rims have the Peugeot lion on them, instead of the Citroën logo, but as I said, they are made by the same company. Also I don't really care.

For a bigger increase in top speed I'd have to spring for a transmission from a diesel model, but changing transmissions... Well, not my cup of tea.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti