On the other fronts, which there are many, I've made some progress. Well, at least some steps forward and some back. The good news is I think I've found a good place for the charger and a way to make it pass the inspection.
I think I'll mount the charger this way and put it all behind a big piece of plexiglass to make it untouchable by inquisitive fingers and inspectors with their testing sticks. I'll need to make sure there's some room below the charger to allow the fans move air as they are meant to.
My potentiometer based throttle has always seemed a bit flimsy, so I thought I'd give the carburetor and it's TPS (throttle position sensor) a go. Well, success ensued. 5 volts and ground in, 0-5 V signal out. 0.65 V at the lowest and 4.75 V at the highest with a cheap 5 volt power brick.
Problem is, the Kelly controller I already have mounted in the car only does 0-5K potentiometers. The AXE7245 I have the motorcycle accepts just about any imaginable throttle input. Looks like I'll need to swap the controllers. The motorcycle uses a 0-5K hand throttle, so the Kelly is fine there.
The AXE manual states 0.15 V as the lowest value, but the TPS gave 0.65 V. Remains to be seen if that's a problem. Of course I have the whole motor coupling thing still on the table as well.